Discuss your anything related to kayaks here including specifications, modifications and personal overviews etc

Postby Slippery » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:17 am

Hi guys and thanks for accepting me into the group. Look forward to meeting and fishing with a few of you in the coming years.

I last fished around 20 years back when life just got in the way and I sold the cabin cruiser i was using then.

Obviously the fishing industry has moved on since then and yaks are the new way of doing it. I now find I am in a position to get out, hopefully at least once a week. I have bought a 2.7m SOT, a unit bought on line from Find Sports, and available under the Anaconda brand name Rapid for $120 more. I take delivery of it next week.

I am busy buying all the bits and pieces I think I need and have some ideas on how to fit it all together but it may be helpfull if I saw how others have fitted things on to their platforms. I have tried to find photos in this and the KFDU forum but not many photos out there. I did see a video of yours I think Leper and you showed some good ideas that I am going to steal.

If any of you are around Brisbane Northside would I be able to make contact and come around to actually see what you have done.

I aim to add a 18lb Watersnake and fishfinder and have thought of adding a rudder. Also have bought a pop up sail and

My aim is to run around the local creeks until I have built a bit of shoulder strength and stamina( not as young as I used to be and more than a little unfit) and then chase squid and prawns, bream and flatties in the canals and estuaries and gradually move further off shore, at which time I may need to move into a bigger yak.
Slippery

Re: Newbie

Postby Leper » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:26 am

Hi Slippery,

Sorry for the late reply somehow managed to miss this post but better late then never. I would get used to your kayak first just with the paddle. As the length of the kayak is only 2.7m I would personally not recommend using an electric or a sail and stick to just using a paddle. It is also a very small kayak for fishing too far offshore with as well and I can imagine you would lose a lot of stability in the swell. Get into the estuaries and have a play with the kayak as is and then decide what you want to add once you have experienced kayak fishing a little. My first Kayak was a Viking Tempo which I bought on impulse and then fell in ove with bass fishing and the Tempo was just not the right fit. I did use it on an 18km trip with major portage and it almost killed me. As a result i bought a kayak much better suited for bass fishing. So my advice is get used to using your current kakak with minimal modding until you know what you like. That said make sure you tether everything before you head out, nothing worse than losing gear because you failled to tether it!

Cheers

Brad
Leper
Site Admin

Postby maxy1 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi leper,
What kayak do you have for baasing. I have an australis bass, but was looking around at other models. I mainly only fish small creeks and rivers for bass.
Thanks,
Michael
maxy1

Postby Leper » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:42 pm

maxy1 wrote:Hi leper,
What kayak do you have for baasing. I have an australis bass, but was looking around at other models. I mainly only fish small creeks and rivers for bass.
Thanks,
Michael

I have an Old Town Vapor 10 Angler. Great yak for me as it has a big cock pit and I am 6'3. It is also composed of a higher density PE than the cheaper Chinese yaks so wears a lot slower. Only drawback is the v shaped hull which is great for tracking but so good for responsive turns in rapids. Also nice and light for hard portage!

Cheers

Brad
Leper
Site Admin

Return to Bass Kayaks and Accessories