Welcome to the forum! Say hello and tell us about yourself!

Postby Slippery » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:53 am

Another newbie - both to the forum and Kayaking. Last did any serious fishing 20 years ago when I had a cabin cruiser. I guess I have been a little spoilt by having chased and caught lunker big mouth black bass in South Africa(pb 2.5kg) before moving here. But I love the thought of taking on anything I can get a hook into but only using 2kg line. I have purchased a 2.7m sit on and will be fitting it out with electric motor and fish finder plus other bits and pieces as I learn and see whats needed.

Stealth Kayak.png
Stealth Kayak.png (182.63 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Slippery

Re: Newbie

Postby Ozzybass » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:46 pm

This site has been a bit quiet lately (and its "closed season" right now) so I have just found your post. Welcome to the site Slippery.

As you're a newbie both to yakfishing and Aussie Bass may I offer a couple of comments - firstly, Aussie Bass fight harder than LMB's, but they don't jump. LMB's grow much larger though. I've caught both and also other American basses with my favourite being the Smallmouth. I think I like smallies a teeny bit more than Aussie Bass. OMG! Will lightning strike me dead??! Part of the reason many of us like bass fishing is the beautiful rivers & small creeks that it takes us to. A 2.7m SOT will take you to the smallest as well as the big rivers. So, unless you plan to also target bass in the dams, an electric motor can be superfluous to your needs and maybe even be limiting to where you can go easily. Of course, its nice to have in the larger rivers too. A sounder is also not really necessary in many river situations as some basic streamcraft will tell you where the fish SHOULD be. They would be essential for bass dams though. Lastly, 2kg line is fine for smaller bass, but I recommend going heavier if you fish in tight waters or in waters with bigger fish. Having said that, most bass snags are friendlier than saltwater bream snags not having to contend with barnacles & oysters so you can fish light most of the time.

Good luck and we hope you'll post your bass adventures for us all to enjoy.
Tham
Ozzybass

Re: Newbie

Postby Leper » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:35 am

Welcome slippery,

Yeah 2 kg is a little light and as i mentioned in your other post I would just use the kayak with minimal modding until you know your needs and how she handles.

Cheers

Brad
Leper
Site Admin

Return to YakBass Welcome