For those with an addiction, obsession or passion for Australian Bass Fishing

Quality not Quantity! (NEW!)

I had not planned on heading out for another night session until we had had some rain as the rivers are very low and some are starting to become a little stagnant.  However, with the potential for my next weekend  fish to be washed out on the Saturday and blown out on Sunday and couldn’t help but sneak out for another cast in the dark regardless of whether the fish were keen or not.

A text to Rob (RAD) early in the week resulted in a quick reply and the plan was to meet at our favourite night fishing spot just after 7PM.  Arriving at the launch we quickly kitted out the kayaks after a quick chat and then began the considerable portage to our first pool.  When we eventually hit the water we quickly realised how low the water had become and that the water were basically trickling between pools.  Water that was had once been quite navigable was now so shallow that we needed to walk our kayaks across them.

We eventually hit the first pool and Rob began casting at one bank while I cast at structure along the other.  Rob managed a hit on one cast just after the lure hit the water and it wasn’t long before I saw some action as well.

The wind was up a little and the kayaks were moving around a little on the water so I decided to shift my position so I was tighter with the bank.  This protected me from the wind and enabled me to cast parallel with the bank where bass like to hide to chase unwary prey.  On one cast my black jointed jitterbug was crawling along the surface when a bass exploded around it half way back on the retrieve.  The bass in this system hit lures hard and tend to go on the offensive immediately after the hit and this fish was no exception.  The bass took drag a millisecond after taking the lure off the surface and the battle was on.  Being dark there was no way of telling if there was any structure in the vicinity but the bass found some and I was quickly stitched up.  I could feel the leader rubbing on the timber but luckily the bass came free and I was eventually able to net a good fish.

At 42cmFL it was a cracking first bass for the session and had given me one of the most explosive hits I have heard for the last few seasons.  After a nice photo the bass was happily released and we were casting again in the hope of some more action.

The only bass for the night but at 42cmFL it was a good one!

The only bass for the night but at 42cmFL it was a good one!

Another happy release!

Another happy release!

So here is the sad part!!!  The next few hours were fruitless! Not a touch!  In the end we paddled back with the only highlight being when Rob cast into some timber only for his lure to get hooked up on some structure on the water line. As he paddled in to dislodge the lure he wound braid back onto the spool only to feel it peeling back off once he got the tension back.  A bass had picked the lure off the timber and dragged it deep into the snag.  Eventually the bass managed to stitch up the lure all together and Rob called me over with the lure retriever to help him extricate it.

There's gotta be a few more bass here somewhere!

There’s gotta be a few more bass here somewhere!

I worked hard to remove both lure and fish and could feel it pulling strongly but I could not shift the lure and bass.  Eventually the inevitable happened but I was lucky to at least retrieve Rob’s lure.  We had a few more casts but the bass were quiet and so it wasn’t long before we reached the end of the pool.

Although the night had been quiet I was still happy with my one fish and couldn’t help thinking its all about quality not quantity!